Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Today's Post Which Is Essentially About Nothing At All

It looks beautiful out there this morning. The sun playing Hide and Seek as it peeks through the leaves and the grass getting greener every day. After a virtually sleepless night I'm exhausted so I'm just letting my fingers type whatever pops into my mind. Even after two cups of coffee this morning my brain is still suffering from that early morning fog-filled headache one gets without enough sleep.

The heavens above have promised that we were going to get rain yesterday and today (and tomorrow and Thursday)but so far they've lied. We'll see.

Recently I've been thinking about people I knew in the past that I've lost touch with over the years. Did you ever do that? With some of them it's just been a case of their names and images of their faces popping momentarily into my head and a quick "I wonder where they are now" follow-up. Others I really want to know about. What happened to him/her? Are they leading a fulfilling life? Have they reached their goals or achieved their dreams? Are they happy? The most important question is "Why did we lose touch?"

I know that part of it had to do with my moving to Cleveland to finish University and then to Israel for 3 and 1/2 years after that. This was all before the days of the true portable computer and before services like AOL made the Internet easy for everyone. Those were the days when one had a few really good solid friends and a slightly larger circle of friends but it was all manageable. These days my SIM card can hold up to 250 numbers and I'm at the point where I have to store numbers on the phone as well. What's scary is that, with the exception of maybe a dozen numbers for doctors, all the numbers are those of friends that I talk with frequently. Oh - and Skype-To-Go as well. That's not to mention Twitter and Facebook friends. The thing is that I take friendships seriously and do make the time to reach out.

I suppose that's why I wonder about the friends I've lost touch with over time. If any of you read this please contact me. I'd love to reconnect. It's been way too long.

1 comment:

  1. Friends make up such a vital part of our life- I wish it could be so easy to really stay in touch with them...just by adding them to a FB list or a skype contact list- alas, there is so much more to it than that, as you mentioned! It makes it harder when we move around so much- it takes effort- but it is worth it! I love the friends with whom months can go by and when you talk again it is as if NOT one minute passed since you last spoke!

    ReplyDelete